Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary
Attn: Autumn Russell
8935 Thompson Road
Lake Odessa, MI 48849
Mackenzie’s Animal Sanctuary needs an enthusiastic, versatile, team-player to serve as a Kennel Attendant. We are looking to fill Sunday, Monday and every other Saturday from 6:30 am to 2:30 pm (Training hours will vary). The Kennel Attendant must be able to pay close attention to detail along with following written directions and steps on chemicals for proper and safe sanitation. You must enjoy working with dogs outdoor and indoor environments throughout all seasons.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Cleans and disinfects assigned dog kennels and areas, which include, but is not limited to clean up of animal waste and other body fluids.
- Handles various cleaning solvents, chemicals, etc. and must comply with all regulations such as OSHA, EPA, State Health Department, etc.
- Performs tasks assigned in the daily duty sheet on a daily basis.
- Handle dogs, including those of unknown temperament, aggression, sick or injured.
- Visually inspects animals for overall health problems and follow-up if necessary.
- Ensures and maintains the proper handling of animals throughout the shelter in accordance with the Animal Care Department’s Standard Operating Procedures.
- Periodically spot cleans assigned kennels and/or facility.
- Ensures animals have an opportunity for socialization and exercise daily.
- Provides accurate information in a clear, friendly and concise manner.
- Maintains a professional and cordial working attitude.
- Advises Supervisor of any conditions that are unsafe including unrecognized hazards or infractions of safety rules.
- Maintain Germ-Free status of Isolation area.
- Maintains working knowledge of sanitation chemicals, protocols, safety concern, storage and handling.
- Follow all special cleaning and care procedures as directed.
- Notify Supervisor of all needed maintenance. Work effectively with Maintenance personnel to complete all facility’s needs.
- Cleans and disinfects assigned buildings and areas, which include, but is not limited to clean up of animal waste and other body fluids.
- Disposes of trash, waste, and other disposable materials.
- Attends mandatory department meetings and training.
- Follows proper safety precautions and wears appropriate safety equipment.
- Reports any malfunctions of equipment or safety and security concerns to the Supervisor.
- Reinforce the established training methods of MAS.
- Respect MAS dogs and treat them with the utmost kindness and compassion.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use a computer and perform basic data entry and reporting.
- Ability to handle, restrain, lift and move domesticated animals.
- Ability to work in a team oriented and frequently changing environment.
- Ability to work varied hours/days, including weekends and holidays, as needed.
- Employee may be required to stand for long periods of time.
- Employee is regularly required to move continuously during work hours.
- The employee must be able to pull, lift, and/or move a minimum of 50 pounds.
- The employee must be able to restrain large animals as needed.
Please list any dog-related work/volunteer experience in your resume.