Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary
Attn: Autumn Russell
8935 Thompson Road
Lake Odessa, MI 48849
To provide humane care and treatment for the animals in our facilities. To assist with the medical treatment, care and prevention of disease, assure and maintain the established Animal Care and Medical Department standards in order to make the animals’ stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively perform veterinary technician skills, including (but not limited to) venipuncture, IV catheter placement, monitoring anesthesia, positioning for radiographs, interpreting fecal flotations, reading urinalysis sediments, administering injections, oral medications, topical medications, and vaccines, calculating medication doses, filling prescriptions
- Triaging wellness concerns and emergencies then communicating with veterinarian regarding appropriate treatment if necessary
- Communicating with kennel attendants and adoption team regarding medical care of resident dogs in written and verbal form by providing accurate information in a clear, friendly and concise manner
- Assisting with machine maintenance, including (but not limited to) blood analyzers, autoclave, dental drill, anesthesia equipment
- Opening and closing medical building including restocking medical building and kennel medical supplies
- Scheduling, preparing paperwork, transporting patients, and communicating with veterinary specialists for referrals and emergencies
- Working independently on assigned medical tasks, as veterinarian works on a part-time basis
- Accurately recording all medical information for dogs at MAS
- Handling various medicines, cleaning solvents, and chemicals while complying with all regulations such as OSHA, EPA, State Health Department
- Attending mandatory department meetings and training sessions
- Following proper safety precautions and wearing appropriate safety equipment while advising supervisor of any conditions that are unsafe, including unrecognized hazards or infractions of safety rules
- Maintaining a professional and cordial working attitude
- Respecting MAS dogs and treating them with the utmost kindness and compassion
- Engaging in a team-focused, detail-oriented, rewarding work environment
- Attention to detail
- Ability to effectively utilize veterinary software, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel
- Problem-solving skills
- Able to process direction from veterinarian via in-person contact, e-mail, text, or phone consultations
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Handle, restrain, lift and move domesticated animals
- Work as a team in a frequently changing environment
- Work varied hours/days, including nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed
- Employee may be required to stand for long periods of time.
- Employee is regularly required to move continuously during work hours.
- The employee must be able to pull, lift, and/or move a minimum of 50 pounds.
- The employee must be able to restrain large animals (dogs) as needed.
- Mackenzie’s Animal Sanctuary is a Drug-Free Workplace
Note: Management has the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Critical features of this job are described under various headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. The above statements are strictly intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position. This job description does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.