Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

How to teach your dog to stay

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I would like my dog to stay when I tell him to. How do you teach stay?

“Stay” is a bit trickier than other commands because your dog will naturally want to follow you. No matter what distractions surround your dog, he should remain in whatever position you asked him to assume.

To teach “stay”:

1. Put your dog in a “sit” or “down”.

2. Stand directly in front of your dog, tell him “stay,” and put your hand in front of him like a stop sign: palm flat and forward.

3. Give your dog a treat every few moments that he “sits”, and praise him saying “yes”. Continue to remind the dog to “stay” between praises.

4. Once he is responding well while on his lead you may begin training that is more extensive by keeping your face and body directed at the dog, begin to step around him. Continue to reward your dog while he stays.

If your dog will not stay, move him back into a “sit” or “down” and try again. If your dog still refuses to “stay” go back to step three.

5. Release the dog by saying, “okay” in a cheerful tone, but do not give him a treat.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu