Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Smoke Man

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I know everyone is not going to be surprised that I am writing about my little man Smokey, but hey, what can I say? He is a pit bull/boxer mix(but I think he is a pit bull/bull dog mix) that came to Mackenzies very VERY neglected. Mackenzie’s rehabilitated him and now he’s just as healthy as ever. We bonded over time and he is truly a couragous dog. For him to have gone through what he has gone through and for him to be so nice and loving is nothing short of a miracle.

Just the other day I spent some time with him and I took him up the apartments with me and we sat on porch and watch the sun start to go down. He sat right next to me and laid his head on my leg. That’s my Smoke Man.

He’s diffidently as special boy! You guys have such a beautiful bond. It’s so wonderful that he’s so loving after all the abuse he went through, if he were a human he probably wouldn’t be so resilient.

I remember when Smokey came here wearing nothing but skin & bones. You would never know this is the same dog that endured such a horrific past – he’s quite a muscle mass now. And quite the gentleman. Then Jorel came here – You can just see the love when Jorel & Smokey are together! There’s an aura that you just can’t miss! Soul mates!

I was watching Smokey, Maggie, & Kopper in their play group today. It is amazing how Smokey takes on the role of referee. When Maggie & Kopper get to playing hard, Smokey steps in and barks as if to say "break it up! If you’re not going to play nice, then don’t play at all". The dogs listened and stopped playing. Then Smokey licked Maggie as if to say "it’s ok – you just need to have quiet time now". A while later, Smokey went up to Maggie & Kopper (who were standing there quietly) and started barking again. This time the message must have been "OK, you guys can start playing again", because Maggie & Kopper started to play right after Smokey gave them the go ahead.

Smokey truly is an amazing dog!

I find it quite amazing how Smokey’s breed has a predisposition to be dog aggressive and Smokey is usually the one that gets pushed around in that group. I think he has to try and play referee because when he is involved in the play he just gets trampled.

Smokey is very cooperative too. When he is at home with me and Felony(my other dog) he doesnt try and engage her in play at all. I think he knows that she is old and doesnt want to play or be bothered. I really feel Felony appreciates it because she tolerates him doing the occasional sniff and the adorable face kisses– normally she would growl and try to get away. I’m sure they both know how much I love them and how I REALLY want us to be happy family. The 3 Musketeers!!! Watch out :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu