Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Walking Nicely

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

My dog pulls a lot when I walk him and I would like him to walk nicely. How do you teach a dog to do this?

Walking

There are several methods in use for teaching your dog to walk nicely on a leash. Mackenzie’s Animal Sanctuary takes a “positive” approach to training. Therefore, we discourage the use of choke collars, and yanking on the leash as aides in training a dog to walk.

Recommended Training Equipment

1. A six to eight foot Training leash.

2. Yummy treats such as cut up hotdog bits, or dehydrated liver bits. These treats should only be used for training and should be small enough for your dog to eat without chewing.

Training Tips

1. Keep training sessions short – no more that 10 minutes at a time; walking should be done for the entire walk.

2. Train at least two times a day every day if possible.

3. Keep it fun! If the dog is losing interest or you’re getting stressed, take a time out for some petting or play time.

4. Keep this in mind; success can be had with a little patience, a lot of consistency, and persistence.

Training

“Let’s Go”:
    To teach your dog to move forward.
    1. Start walking, keeping the dog at your left side.
    2. Lure him next to your left leg with a treat and say, “let’s go.”
    3. Reward him with a treat for staying by your side.
    4. Every time you stop, tell him “sit” and raise a treat over his head.

“Easy”: To teach your dog to slow down.
    1. Start walking with the dog at your left side.
    2. Tell him “easy,” and hold a treat back by your side. If he pulls, say “easy,” and lure him back to your side.
    3. Again, reward him for walking correctly.
    4. Every time you stop, tell him “sit,” and raise a treat over his head.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu