Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Kathy and Roo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

All three of our feral dogs have been a challenge in their own ways. Kathy has shown over the past year what a little time and whole lot of patience can do. Roo was the most scared of new things out of the three dogs. Kathy wasnt always sure if she would ever get Roo to walk on a lead, but boy has he done it :) It is amazing to see his continuing progress!!

Yes, it’s exciting each time I see Kathy working with Roo, because I know slowly, but surely, progress is being made. How awesome it is to have a feral dog start to overcome his fears!

i’m so proud of Roo and Kathy! Way to go you guys! it’s so amazing to see Roo and his brothers coming out of their shells more & more every day. to see them trusting their devoted humans and lighting up when they experience all the "new" little things that we are so used to and take for granted (a new smell like wild flowers or the scent of where a squirrel just ran across the walking path, or a new object like a leash, a new toy, a nearby ladder or trash can, etc.),… its just so neat to see them enjoying their discoveries of the world around them, and experiencing life to the fullest.

Today was another HUGE day for Roo!!! He went for his first walk with Sport. Kathy, Roo, Sport and I all took a nice slow walk to the octagon drive and back. It was slow going at first, but once Roo saw Sport right there with him, he started to get the hang of it. Kathy has really done an amazing job with him in just a short amount of time. Hopefully, soon we can get all three brothers out for walks together!!

that would be so cool to see all 3 of them walking together!! we’ll definitely have to take lots of pictures to capture this big milestone achievement!! I loved dawn’s pictures from Roo’s walk on Sunday too. This is so exciting!

What a Great day. I decided that maybe Roo was ready to follow his brother Sport for a real walk. He surprised both Alaree and I by really being interested in going out of the kennel. He did so well. I was so proud of him. Even though he decided to stop quite a few times to look around. We just took our time, and I think he really enjoyed himself. It took him a little bit to come back through the door but he even got over that. This is the first time spent with him that he didn’t bark the whole 20 minutes. Thanks to the patience of Alaree and Sport Roo’s brother. WTG Roo I’m so proud of you.

Cause for celebration!! I am sure Roo is thankful for all Kathy’s time, patience, and perseverence. It’s so exciting to hear about Roo’s progress, which seems to be accelerating these last few months. It’s heartwarming to know that Roo is starting to enjoy new environments, which is probably very exciting to him! I am amazed to see a feral dog come so far and it is uplifting to see Kathy’s face light up each time Roo achieves success. Way to go, Kathy & Roo!

Today was another BIG step for Roo. I took him on another walk. This time with Rick and Roo’s other brother Rusty. Roo was really into walking today. There were 2 people in the parking lot outside the building and he didn’t mind. He was very interested in the different smells along the way, and he walked twice as far today as the first time he went out. There was a noisy truck that came by us that startled him some. So I got down on one knee and he hid behind me till it was past. The other car a lot quieter didn’t bother him as much. Still had a little rouble getting him back in the kennel, but with a lot of patience he came thru it just like a Pro.

Roo really surprised me the 3rd of this month by going on a walk with just me :) He really seems to like his walks. Everyone else was busy doing other things so I decided I would see how far we could get. We walked as far as the Octagon drive. Roo got a little scared when someone came towards us on the tractor. Roo is still a little afraid of moving vehicles. So I took him a little ways up the drive to the octagon, got down on one knee and tucked my head. He came around behind me and stayed there while the tractor went by. Then we continued our walk. Can’t wait to walk him when the weather is nicer :)

I have been taking Roo in the kitchen now. Where he thrills us with his constant barking. The first time we went in there Alaree brought Sport in too. Sport was so quiet, but Roo never stops barking. He wasn’t to thrilled with 3 of us being in there getting food around for everyone. Today, the 14th I had Roo in the kitchen while I got food around. He still insists on telling Dawn and I exactly how he feels about being in the kitchen.

Thursday was another big day for Roo. He got to show off to someone who never thought we would be able to do the things we have done with these dogs. I walked Roo into the kitchen to get his shots and have blood drawn for heart worm testing. He had to be given somnething to calm down but I was there with him, cuddling him to keep him calmer. After he was thru Alaree had to carry him back to his run. Roo and his brothers have come a long way from when I first met them 3 1/2 years ago. I think his most favorite thing is taking a walk. Even if its snowing. He likes that better than being in the kitchen barking the whole time.

Roo is getting more and more comfortable with going somewhere with me. I just wish he would come inside so I could put the lead on him. We went out walking Christmas eve. The only thing he’s not fond of is someone on a big machine. I just get off the road as far as we can in all this snow. Then I get on one knee and wait for the machine to go by. Roo hides behind me. He knows I won’t let anything hurt him.

Kathy,
    Thank you for your patience & committment !! You are just one example why I LOVE Mackenzie’s. No one gives up on a dog !!!

Carol

Roo likes to walk, just the 2 of us. After our walk I take him in the kitchen for a treat. While in there, there were at least 3 other people in there. He walked up behind Autumn who was scootched down on the floor and didn’t seem to mind any of the other people in there. He just does his little whine he does and we go about our business. He is getting more and more used to cars that drive by him on the walk. As long as they aren’t going to fast.

This is Roo’s first time at walking in this beautiful weather. He is so eager to sniff everything. From my foot prints to other dogs. He is a sniffing machine. He even found something in the driveway that smelled good enough to roll in :( He even stopped to eat some grass. One day we took a different route thru the field around the back side of the kennel. He loved it. Can’t wait to take him out in the big play yard where he can sniff even more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu