Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Non Reward Marker

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

When I ask my dog to sit he does a down; what can I do to have him do what is asked?

[Non – Reward Marker

Importance
    • Lets the dog know instantly that the behavior he is doing is undesirable.
    • When giving the dog a command, such as “sit” but instead he does a “down,” it lets the dog know instantly that he is doing an incorrect behavior.
    • Creates stability for the dog when everyone that works with him is using the same command.

How to Train:
    Nope” is the Non-Reward Marker.
    To Instill the Non-Reward Marker:
    • Take a handful of bite sized treats, put a leash on the dog, and stand on the end of the leash to keep him close to you.
    • Enclose the treats in your hand so that the dog cannot grab them. You can have him “sit” for this exercise, but only if he has already learned to “sit” consistently.
    • Hold the hand with the treats near the dog’s nose.
    • As he reaches for the treats, say “nope” and pull your hand away from the dog. You want him to learn that reaching for the treat makes them go away.
    • Repeat this step until the dog no longer tries to reach for the treats in your hand. This could take up to 5 minutes for some dogs.
    • Once the dog stops reaching for the treats, say “yes” while giving him a treat.
    Using the Non-Reward Marker in Training:
    • Give the dog the command you want him to do, such as “sit.”
    • As soon as he’s doing the command, say the Reward Marker, “yes” while giving him a treat.
    • If the dog does a different command, or doesn’t complete the command (He only puts his backend halfway down), say “nope” and pull your hand with the treat away from the dog.
    • Repeat the steps until the dog does the correct command, then say “yes” while giving a treat.
    • If you are practicing giving a command without using treats, and the dog does the command incorrectly, turn your body away from him while not looking at him, and say “nope.”

Written by Rick Wiersum
    Edited by Sarah Kaake
    Reference Brenda Aloft

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu