Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Axel

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Intake Date – 12/30/2009
    Adoption Date – 3/7/2010

Update 3/10/2010
    Just wanted to let you know Axel is doing FANTASTIC!!! He settled right into my pack on Sunday like he’s lived with us his whole life. He and Ozzy warmed up to each other pretty quick (once Ozzy got the macho boy stuff out of the way) and they are best buds. They’re exactly what I was hoping for…the same age and energy level so they wear each other out wrestling and playing. I had some TIRED dogs on Sunday! We took them all for a walk yesterday and played Chuck-it and he’s starting to come out of his shell play wise. He really watches the other dogs and is picking stuff up. He’s already fallen into our potty and feeding routine; he’s just amazing. We haven’t done any real training yet, I’m letting him settle in first. But I did take him into the basement for some one-on-one time last night, and played tug with a rope to get him engaged in play and to start getting the idea of chasing a toy.
    I’m pretty sure he’s been crate trained and housebroken previously. I tested him in the crate by throwing food in, and he went right in and turned around and waited for me to shut the door. He slept in the crate without a peep, and he’s had no accidents in the house. He’s just awesome! And he’s such a sweetheart, he loves snuggling on the couch and just being with us.
    I think it was a great match! Thanks!

Update – 3/31/2010
    (I had emailed and asked the adopter if “Axel” attended the Air Dog competition at the sport expo last weekend, this is the response). Axel’s adopter has four dogs, that are in competitions…..

I actually decided not to take him to that one. I DID take him to the Kalamazoo dog show the weekend before that, just to walk around and get socialized (and try lure coursing with Oskar and Carly which they LOVED). He seemed a little overwhelmed, and he’s really got an issue with riding in the car. We’re working on it and trying some different things, but it would have been a lot longer ride to GR and a much longer day being at that event, so I decided to hold off. All my Ultimate Air Dog friends were mad because they all wanted to meet him, but I wanted to do what’s best for him.
    There is another event in GR at the end of the month, the GR Pet Expo at the Deltaplex. It’s the weekend of the 25th, and pet expos are always fun to check everything out anyways if you’re not doing anything that weekend. We’ll be there.
    Other than that, Axel is doing great. He’s definitely showing more toy drive, now we’re working on bringing toys back. I’ve had him at work a few times and he was excellent (except for the car ride!) Wayne Cavanaugh, the President of UKC, checked him out and said he is all border collie, he just looks a little different because he’s probably all working border collie lines. He and Ozzy have become absolute best friends; in fact they are almost TOO attached to each other LOL! No problems with the cat—Ozzy has taught him to be interested in the cat but he never does anything when he catches up to her. In fact she was on the dining table the other day, and as Scott was watching Axel leaped up on to the table and then laid down with the cat! Scott had the camera handy and snapped a shot because it was too funny….then he asked him to get down. But I thought you would get a kick out of the picture!
    Axel has fit into our house just perfectly….it’s been the easiest transition of any dog we’ve brought in, and I can’t for the life of me understand why someone dumped him, but I’m sure glad they did!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu