Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Behavior Modifications with Blossom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Blossom is one of our Mississippi/New Orleans rescue dogs. She is a white Pit Bull Terrier with a brown patch on her right eye. She is so sweet and gentle and loves people. She does have a little issue with other dogs. Our behavior modification program addresses many issues that dogs have. This ranges from dog reactivity to separation anxiety to touch sensitivity. We decided to start Blossom on the Dog Reactivity Behavior Modification to desensitize her to dogs.

The program starts off with:

1) Having her follow a treat
    2) Bringing the treat to my face
    3) Waiting for her to make eye contact

After that we start to give a cue LOOK while bring the treat to my face. The beginning of this process is done with no dogs present. This is a way to control her glance in the future when there are dogs around.

We’ll be working on this for a while, so I’ll keep updating her progress.

I am so happy that you’re working with her, and I think that she’s going to do awesome for you!! She’ll definately feel the pit bull love vibes that naturally emanate form you. :)

I am so happy that Blossom is being helped with that issue. She is my very favorite. She & I came to Mackenzie’s at the same time. I remember how she & Lola, who was in the crate next to her in the pole barn when the Katrina dogs were first here, would come to the front of their crates as I passed by, hurrying to clean the crates of the dogs that were out in back for a break. Both of their tails were wagging from side to side.

I also completed a milestone with her – I overcame my fear of pitbulls. The first time I played with her I was a little hesitant. The first time I took a ball out of her mouth while playing, I was so shocked that I had "survived". Now I am a big defender of the breed. "No bad breeds, just back owners" – to quote the Dog Whisperer.

Carol

Update:
    I’ve found out that treats are not the best motivation to get Blossom’s attention. We’ve tried numerous times with various treats. After a while, she just loses interests.

In the mean time, Rick and I are coming up with a modified version of the Behavior Modification Program. When we get that all set up I’ll send out another update to let everyone know how it’s working out for our precious girl Blossom.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu