Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Calming Signals Dogs Use

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

My dog keeps yawning and lick licking. Why is he doing this?

Dogs use calming signals to communicate non-aggressive intent. These signals are used with others who are an unknown entity, with a known entity in potentially volatile situations, and in play situations where the play is beginning to make a dog feel uncomfortable with the direction the play is going. If a dog uses a calming signal, she is looking to see a calming signal being returned as reassurance from the other dog or person.
    Dogs use the following signals both to indicate stress or a space violation, while at the same time to communicate: “I’m friendly – I mean you no harm. “or perhaps, “ you look really nervous, I am not threatening you.” Return me a signal so I know you are not threatening me. There are some signals that transfer well to people. That is, there are some signals of non-aggressive intent that humans can make use of to dogs. The next time your dog is nervous, try looking away and yawning. Many dogs will show visible signs of relaxation instantaneously. It is truly amazing! This indicates a calming signal can also be used to convey to a second or third party “don’t worry, it is a safe environment.”
    Another signal that can be used effectively is “ Lip-licking.” A very easy and a subtle way to signal your dog to relax is to look at your dog, averting your eyes slightly, and licking your lips a few times.

Other calming signals include:
    *Sniffing
    *Yawning
    *Looking away
    *Scratching
    *Lip-licking
    *Nose licking
    *Paw lift
    *Moving slowly in an arc on approach
    *Sitting or lying down
    *Blinking
    *Slow careful movements
    *Shaking
    *Sneezing
    [/b]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu