Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Every dog is Different

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

It’s so neat to see how every dog has a different personality, and sometimes needs us to try different techniques/methods to reach them. Just like human children – one way of teaching or communicating might work well for some, but not for others. I was reminded of this yesterday when introducing Keno to a new family’s dog. The family’s dog was extremely shy and fearful of this environment, and very fearful of the thought of another dog sniffing her. :) We tried several different things, and basically it came down to just giving the dog TIME and lots of patience to go slow, at the dog’s own pace, to let her come out of her shell when she was ready. Keno was very respectful of the dog, he knew she was nervous, so he gave her all the space she needed. After 2 separate walks together, she started to come out of her shell, and was less nervous, starting to explore and sniff Keno, and let Keno sniff her. We still have a little more progress to do, but we won’t rush her, because she is doing so well so far, since we are going at a pace she is comfortable with. I am hopeful that they could be friends! She is so sweet, and I am so proud of them both. Keno was such a gentleman to her! :)

well at their 2nd Visit, the girl dog was even a little more braver and came out of her shell more quickly, now that this place was all a little more familiar to her. And Keno was such a gentleman again, so she was more curious about him – and actually kept following him around, trying to sniff him, and thinking about engaging with mini-playbows, and then she’d act like she was teasing him…. so cute!!

we did a Home Visit – and finally this little girl was totally out of her shell, a whole new personality! She was super outgoing at her own home environment; she was running around, and play-bowing at Keno like crazy! They were so cute together, and it was so neat to see this shy little girl find such a great playmate like Keno . . . . a friend she can trust, and feel comfortable enough with to "be herself."

And YAY for Keno to have found a loving family to call his own!! :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu