Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Kingsley

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Intake Date: 10/15/2008
    Adoption Date: 1/2/2009

Kingsley (now named ‘RADAR’) wrote us a letter on his 1st Day at home :)

Hi Kristi!
    Well, my first day went really well. I think I’m really going to like it here with my new family. Everybody really loves me, they keep telling me how great I am, and I’m being sure to use my good manners so they know how polite I am. There is no shortage of belly rubs here, for which I am so happy. I find, I really enjoy having my ears stroked, it’s quite nice.
    There’s lot of good toys here to chew on, too. And, there’s this great blue bean bag chair thing that I love sitting in while I chew on my new toys. Ben likes to sit in it with me. That’s good, too.
    We went for lots of short walks, no really long ones because my leg is still sore. I still limp a little after a rest when my leg gets a chance to get stiff. I’m starting to get the hang of this walking on a leash thing. My new mom tells me I’m great when I don’t pull on the leash. It’s hard when I smell something yummy or interesting. My second walk today, I walked on a slack leash for a whole side of our block! I must be really smart.
    I peed outside the first day, and even pooed outside this morning. I had a little accident today in the house, but nobody got upset, and they didn’t catch me either, so I’m not worried about it.
    I slept the whole night from about 10pm to 8am in my new crate with a soft cushy bed in it. I slept with my new favorite toy – it’s a stuffed bird, and my t-shirt from Mackenzies.
    After my walk this morning, I went upstairs to see what people do in the morning. Nobody told me about that electric toothbrush thing. Man, is that thing weird and kind of scary, too.
    I went for a short ride in the car today. It made me drool, but it wasn’t too scary. We went to some place that has lots of great smells! I heard somebody say it was a place called Petsmart. I met another puppy, he was a husky. We said hello and were both well mannered so it was a nice greeting.
    It was hard to walk without pulling on my leash in that place, that’s for sure!
    I have big plans for the rest of the day. They’ll be chewing, on my toys only, some more good walks, a few games of fetch, and maybe we’ll get to play the name game, I like all the treats. Then, I’m sure I’ll be ready for dinner and a good sleep.
    I’ll let you know how things are going. Thanks for finding me my new family!
    Love,
    Radar

Update – 1/8/2009 Letter From Radar
    Hi Kristi,
    Guess what I did today? I went in the car twice and didn’t drool at all! I find that it is more comfortable to lie down and curl up in a ball, and even take a nap than to worry and drool all over everything, it just makes me thirsty. I think I have decided that riding in the car is just another way to migrate, but really fast!
    I went to my first doggie good manners class today with a nice old guy named Mike Humphreys. We talked about how to sit, of course I can do that but it’s hard with all the other dogs distracting me, they smell so good! We talked about how to heel, my new mom calls it "let’s go"- it’s the same thing. I dare say that I was the best in the class at walking on a loose leash. We’ve been practicing every time we go for a walk. There were even two dogs in the class who planted their bottoms on the floor and got dragged by the leash. They looked more like a mop than a dog – what dog doesn’t know how to walk? We worked on sit-stay and down-stay. The sit-stay was easier than the down-stay, but I think I can figure it out.
    Earlier this week, I went to a barn with horses in it. It smelled great, and there was a dog named Susie to play with, too. I liked the barn, but I’m not sure what I think about these horse things, although they do make great smelling poop.
    I’m sleeping through the night, I don’t mind being by myself for awhile in my crate, I’m eating almost all of my breakfast and dinner, and I haven’t had a accident in the house since the second day I came home.
    I hear my family talk about me a lot. They call me "God’s very own dog on loan." I think that must be pretty good, because they sure are good to me.
    I’m going to bed now. I hope you are well. Say hi to Murray and Bentley for me.
    Much love,
    Radar

Update – 1/10/2009
    Mary said she could not have asked for a better dog! She said Kingsley (now named “Radar”) fits perfectly into their lives in every aspect. It’s been amazing! He is so respectful, smart, and so willing to learn. Kingsley saw his Vet on Wednesday (Dr. Bennett) and everyone there really likes him. Even at Obedience Class, the teacher Mike Humphreys said that Kingsley has such a nice disposition, and is so compliant, always willing to do anything that’s asked of him. Mary said she was SO PROUD of him! Kingsley fits right in the family, and the kids are loving every minute with him. She emphasized that this has been such a great experience!

Well, here I am in my new life. I’d say it’s pretty good. The picture of me with the blanket is the day after I went to Camp Bow Wow for a day. My family says it’s for something called "socialization". All I know is that I get to play with dog friends the whole time I’m there, so that works for me.
    I’m even the new Camp ambassador for new dogs. I get to give the new dogs an interview to see if they are nice enough to play with us at Camp. It’s a fun job.

I learned "Leave it" at dog class this week. I was the demonstrator with Mr. Humphreys and I did just what he said. Remember, I’m a smart one.

I’m loving bulldozing my face through the snow looking for smells, but I think my family is ready for it to not be so cold. You should see how they wrap up when we go out. I don’t mind the cold so much, but we’re sure not to stay out too long on a walk when it’s really cold.

My family made lamb chops for dinner – boy is that a good smell!

Life is good, I’ll send more pictures soon.

Radar

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu