Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Quincy – Behavior Modification

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

One of our staff members found Quincy tied to one of our barns very early in the morning. Quincy was so afraid that the staff member had to get a catch pole and help to bring him into out isolation facility.

Quincy had some severe fear issues so we worked for a short period of time to have him come into the inside run for some petting and training.Staff worked with him while he was isolated; about three weeks; establishing his markers, sits and downs.

Once he came into our main kennel some of the fear symtoms returned in the new environment. We Safer Tested him to learn that he had food, touch and fear aggression. We had already determined through staff interactions that it was probable he had the touch issues.

We immediantly implimented behavior modifications programs that were developed through the ASPCA. I have had the pleasure of working with him on his b-mods and he has already improved in many of the area’s. What rewarding work!!

We are fortunate to have a team of people like you who care and can have a positive affect on a dog’s behavior. I am drawn to Quincy, being a Rottie mix (and a big, black dog), and look forward to him progressing into an adoptable companion. He’s such a handsome fellow!

Quincy is so sweet and affectionate when he warms up and trusts you. What a lover! I look forward to him continuing to come out of his shell, trust more people, and hopefully one day find the committed "forever family" he truly deserves.

His behavior modification is going incredibly well. Not only can I touch him all over but other staff members can do so also.

Today I wanted to help him overcome his fear of fast movements so tried to engage him in play from a standing and play bow position. He started to lip lick and become a bit apprehensive so I determined I should try from a less dominant posture. I got on my hands and knees and play bowed from that position using quick, short movements. He became excited and started play bowing, running around, jumping on furniture, ( A quick Nope for that. : ) ) As he became stimulated he became a little mouthy in play mode. He settled down quickly. Very exciting!!!

He now sits pretty, rolls over, stays fairly well and most of his obedience. Yeah Quincy!!!

Quincy has been doing very well with his behavior. Yesterday was time for a Wellness check and a shot. He had issues when we checked his ears, mouth, bottom of his feet so we only did a minimal check. He also had issue when giving his shot so there was a need to muzzle him for this.

On a good note once unmuzzled and again working on his touch he responded as notted in prior portions of this log.

He has his roll over down pat and is a very smart boy.

He did very well today meeting a couple of new people. We went for a walk. He pulls a little on his lead but learns very quickly.

I found it interesting that once we returned to his run and I was petting him calmly. I volunteer came up to the run and he became very agitated, spinning, barking and growling. Once the volunteer exited the area he became calm once again.

This behavior reminds me that we have quite a bit of work to do and that we need to proceed slowly in interactions with others. Even though a dog may make several steps forward they can still take a step backwards and that true conditioning takes a very long time.

I want to talk more about his training today. He is so focused on the secondary reinforcer; treat; that I wanted him to move more to it being a pet. To initiate that I stared going through a series of traing prior to reinforcing with a treat. I used the reward marker after each step the then at the end of the series a treat.

His series went like this; sit, sit pretty, down, rollover and then stay. He then was leased with the release command; ok; tols to come then sit. Then the treat.

He did wonderfully with this and we ran through the series six or seven times. After this process we continued with his touch b-mod.

Rick,
    As I have said before in other posts, the staff is one of the reasons I LOVE Mackenzie’s. No one gives up on a dog !! Thanks, Rick, for your patience and dedication.

Carol

Carol, thanks for all you do too!! Appreciate the kind words. Quincey is doing well. He has come a long ways and we’ll get him where he needs to be.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu