Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Rufas

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Intake Date – 12/31/2008
    Adoption Date – 8/26/2009

9/2/2009 Update on Rufus!!!!!
    I thought I would let you know how Rufus is doing.

The last week has been a lot of fun; everyone is working out his and her places in the pecking order. Daisy is now tolerating Rufus without any fuss–he can walk past her or sit near her with no crabbiness on her part; she even let him sniff her foot once. Ingrid is also teaching Rufus to be more polite and less pushy through multiple corrections–I think he has finally gotten it through his head that not everyone wants to play all of the time; personally, I think he just thinks its funny to harass her because he knows she’s irritated. And, there have been absolutely no rumbles in the household.

Suprisingly, he’s a bit of a velcro dog at times. He’s like a Visa card–everywhere you want to be. While he’s generally very polite, he’s turned out to be quite an exuberant and frisky guy. He loves to squeak his toys (loudly)right in your ear while you are relaxing on the couch until you play with him. He also has raided the sock drawer once, bouncing around the house flaunting his theft. He has worked out a procedure for getting you to play with his toys: he empties the toy basket one item at a time, drops it in your lap, and waits for you to toss it. If you don’t want to humor him, he ends up bringing you something else–trying to figure out which of his toys it is you’d like to play with until he has emptied the basket.

He has also been really well behaved in the house. He has not had any accidents inside, nor has he destroyed or ruined anything (other than wandering into the bathroom and taking chunks out of the toilet paper roll a few times.). He is also learning that it is NOT okay to steal food off of the TV tray (He’s pretty bold–he tried on two occasions to make off with a whole box of Cheez-Its while I am still snacking.)–he sort of nudges his muzzle up on the tray and tries to grab stuff–while you’re watching him.

He goes to Shaggy Pines for some R&R, since a 2-3 mile walk everyday is not enough to drain his energy. He gets along great with everyone else, and has found a potential girlfriend in a little short-haired pointer. I believe that he’s a little bashful, though.

It’s been a lot of fun having him around. I’ll send you pictures later! I hope I’ll get to stop in to volunteer this coming weekend.

Update 1/1/2010
    Here’s a little Rufus update:

Things are going pretty well. Rufus has settled in to his new family and I love him to pieces. He’s quite a handful somedays…he’s turned out to be quite the accomplished thief–so much so that we have started putting a gate on the kitchen during dinner when the dishes are on the counter; he’s quite tall and we don’t trust him to leave the chicken alone while we’re eating. Otherwise, he’s only recently developed a habit of being really whiney in the car. Not sure why; we’re working on riding in the car quietly, however.

He’s enjoying going to Shaggy Pines to drain some of his energy, and he’s slowly becoming a little more outgoing with the other dogs. He’s a little shy sometimes around new dogs, but that’s getting better. He is very ball obsessed, and when he’s feeling really spunky, he finds the biggest log or stick he can manage to carry and runs around the park with it like a treasure. His biggest "stick" to date is a small log (three feet long and three inches around–no kidding.), and he cracks everyone up–everyone who sees it laughs pretty hard. Rufus also goes to doggie day care at Camp Bow Wow sometimes (if I have a lot of errands to run over on that end of town.).

I attached a picture of Rufus from earlier this year–middle of October. He’s happy because he got to go swimming and chase tennis balls.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu